Just about everyone without employee uniforms uses the term business casual to describe their office dress. However, what does business casual actually mean? Is your company image benefitting from a business casual dress policy, or could you do better with an employee uniform policy in place? Here’s what you need to know about business casual dress.
What is Business Casual
Business casual is a generic term that changes in meaning from office to office. Typically, business casual involves:
- Khaki, twill, or cotton pants or skirts. Skirts should be knee-length or longer.
- Sweaters, cardigans, polo or knit blouses
- Closed-toe shoes or dressy sandals depending on the office
- Dress slacks or chino pants
- A shirt without a tie, whether a polo or a button-up
- Dark-colored socks
- Dress shoes
Why is Business Casual a Good Idea?
Business casual is a particularly popular dress code because so many employers and employees love it. Business casual:
- Lets employees be comfortable on the job, which in turn impacts their mood and morale
- Allows employees to get ready for work more quickly and the transition from work to post-work activities with ease
- Costs less to wear than more formal options, not counting uniform rental services
- Gives employees the chance to still express themselves on the job
- Can make executives and lower-level workers relate to each other more easily, since they feel like they are on similar footing
How Can Business Casual Backfire?
Business casual dress codes can also have some weaknesses, especially when contrasted with a uniform rental policy:
- Business casual policies can quickly get out of control if employees take advantage of the policy
- You will need to have a plan in place to ensure that employees violating the dress code are treated fairly
- Employees might be giving off a company image that you don’t want to project, especially if they are expressing themselves with their clothing
- Your industry standard might not align with business casual dress, particularly if you work in the legal or consulting area
For All of Your Uniform Services Needs
To give your business a clean, professional, and cohesive look, rely on Ace Uniform. Whether you need uniforms in the food, automotive, industrial, construction, medical, security, or you-name-it industry, we can provide you with the uniforms you need for the price you want. Give us a call at 1-800-366-1616 or visit us online to learn how we can help meet your needs. Want to get to know us even better? Visit us on social media on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+.